Saturday, May 5, 2012

the young women of Pokot, Kenya are fighting the centuries-old tradition of female genital mutilation with the help of the grassroots group - Selected Blogs

Google Reader - Selected Blogs

via Faktensucher by curi56 on 5/5/12
Female genital mutilation (FGM) Deutsch: Weibl...Female genital mutilation (FGM) Deutsch: Weibliche Genitalverstümmelung (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Let Us Abandon the Knife
Vowing “I will never be cut,” the young women of Pokot, Kenya are fighting the centuries-old tradition of female genital mutilation with the help of the grassroots group Kepstono Rotwo – Abandon the Knife. In an award-winning video, Nancy Tomee fiercely confronts her bewildered mother, insisting, “I’m moving forward, moving forward.”
“I will never be cut, over my dead body. It’s a vicious cycle, I bury you, then you bury me with the same sorrows….I refuse to witness my mothers’ suffering and then repeat the cycle.”
-Abby Zimet – ComlonDreams
Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment